Wednesday 8 August 2012

An entrance to Dubai

7th August 2012

Dubai airport was absolutely amazing! Well, the architecture and design aspect of it was. Curves, columns and staircases everywhere! I guess that made the wait more bearable, for after nearly 20 hours of flights we had to stand in a queue for another hour just to get through immigration. There was a welcome distraction about half way through that though when two young Asian kids run from one of their flights to the immigration queue yelling ‘KAME HAME HAAAA!’

Earlier, as the plane I was on was taxiing down the runway to park the pilot had announced that it was 37°C! At 5.20am!! Well, after clearing customs I went to go to the toilet. So I eventually found one, they weren’t marked particularly clearly, and this is what I found! It gave me a bit of a shock really, I was expecting such a nice building to have proper Western toilets, not holes in the ground!

Eww. And you cant see the piss all over it in this picture.

When we finally left the building I really was not prepared for the heat wave that rolled over me.  The protective bubble of air conditioned air stopped about half a metre out from the doors and after that it was like being hit by actual waves of heat, it was that humid! It is 7.30am at the moment here and it is expected to get to a blistering 47°C! I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle that kind of heat! I am travelling with Tony Woods and a business partner of his, Greg Hussey. In Dubai we are staying in a hotel called “Park Hotel” and we get a whole apartment for NZ$250 per night, in NZ the same one would probably cost more than $1000 per night. Who said cheap labour was a bad thing?! We have good air-conditioning, a big pool, our own washing machine, a gym and we are staying on the top floor of the hotel with a big balcony! This is the view from the top!



No comments:

Post a Comment